Brian Spencer, the Most Qualified Candidate for Mayor
Get to know the next Mayor of Pensacola
A STRONG VOICE FOR CHANGE
Brian has the experience to lead our city forward and build upon the successes Pensacola has achieved over the last 8 years. As an architect and owner of one of the most successful firms in the region, Brian has been a sought-after influence in the growth and restoration of our city. Having served as a City Councilman for more than 7 1/2 years, including being elected President of the City Council, Brian is the only candidate with the depth of experience, vision, and leadership skills to build a better Pensacola for all.
BUSINESS LEADER & ARCHITECT
As founding member of SMP Architecture, Brian is known for his talent of bringing some of Pensacola’s oldest and most iconic structures back to life. The historic Theisen Building, the Beggs & Lane Building, the Aylstock, Witkin, Kreis & Overholtz Building are just a few of the examples. The Five Sisters Restaurant, Jackson’s Restaurant, Bodacious Brew, Carmen’s and The Artisan exemplify his vision for adaptive reuse projects. Projects such as Bank of Pensacola on Main Street, Maritime Place in the Maritime Park, and Palafox Pier showcase his innovation and drive to improve Pensacola. Spencer’s energy, creativity and leadership have spurred quality growth and development in the surrounding neighborhoods and districts.
ELECTED TO SERVE OUR CITY
Having now served on the city council for over 7 1/2 years, Brian was a Mayoral appointee for the Admiral Mason Park and was instrumental in its design as an inviting and more pedestrian friendly park. Among his many accomplishments on city council, Brian fought hard for the preservation of Bruce Beach for future quality redevelopment and worked to ease traffic flow while enhancing the natural beauty in the design of the north landing of the future Pensacola Bay Bridge. Brian has received recognition for his development and investment along Palafox Street, which was named one of the Great Places in America.
Brian’s experience and knowledge of the city as a city councilman and president have been enhanced by his involvement on the Tourist Development Council, the Florida-Alabama Transportation and Planning Organization as well as the Downtown Improvement Board.
FAMILY MAN & PERSONAL LIFE
Brian, and his wife of 24 years, Crystal have long been supporters of the community. They are dedicated volunteers and champions of numerous charitable, community and civic organizations having served on multiple boards and committees.
Brian and his family moved to the Pensacola area when he was just three years old. His father, Kenneth Spencer, was a first generation immigrant from Germany. Brian’s mom, Edith, was a native from New York. Ken and Edith loved the area and settled in Gulf Breeze where they raised their family of two boys. As founding members of the Gulf Breeze United Methodist Church, Brian was taught the value of community and church family. Growing up in the panhandle, Brian learned early the importance of hard work and a quality education.
After graduating from Gulf Breeze High School as one of the top students in Santa Rosa County, Brian attended Duke University where he received his undergraduate degree. After graduating from Duke, Magna Cum Laude, Brian attended Tulane University where he received his Master Degree in Architecture. While at Tulane, Brian’s design talent was recognized as the recipient of the coveted John William Lawrence Memorial Medal for Design Excellence. Upon graduation, Brian returned to Pensacola to begin his architecture career.
An avid runner and marathoner, Brian will bring the energy, discipline, and leadership needed as Mayor of Pensacola.
- Pensacola City Councilman, District 6, Jan. 2011-to present
- President, Pensacola City Council, Nov. 2016-Nov. 2017
- Downtown Improvement Board, City Council Representative
- Tourist Development Council
- Florida-Alabama Transportation and Planning Organization
- Eastside Redevelopment Board
- Community Maritime Park Board of Trustees
- Community Redevelopment Agency, Past Chair
- Keep Pensacola Beautiful, Inc.
- Gateway Review Board
- Downtown Improvement Board, Past Chair
- Pensacola Community Music School - President of the Board of Directors
- Pensacola Museum of Art - Board of Directors
- Pensacola Pledge Scholars - Advisory Committee
- Pensacola Little Theater/Pensacola Cultural Trustee Emeritus
- Benefactor of the Mary Mathews/Bernard and Eloise Shuford Scholarship at Houser Memorial AME Zion
- Pensacola State College, Anna Society - Founding Member
- American Heart Association Northwest Florida - Heart Ball Executive Leadership Team
- Council on Aging Rat Pack Honoree
- American Cancer Society - Past Chair of the Summer Slam Tennis Tournament
- WSRE, PBS for the Gulf Coast – Past Member Board of Directors
- WSRE, PBS for the Gulf Coast - Co-Chair, 40th Anniversary Celebration of Public Television
- American Heart Association Northwest Florida - Past Chair, Past Vice Chair
- Pensacola Little Theater/Pensacola Cultural Center - Past President of the Board of Directors
- Lakeview Center – Past Member Board of Directors
Awards & Accolades
- American Planning Association “Great Place In America” Certificate for Development and Investment
- AIA Florida Northwest, Community Service Honor Award
- AIA Florida Northwest, Awards For Design Excellence
- Championed "Running Friendly" City designation for Pensacola
- Competitive Marathon Runner, Marine Corps Marathon 2005, 2007; Boston Marathon 2004, 2006, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2018
- Junior Achievement of NW Florida Hall of Fame Laureate